Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Happy International Literacy Day!

When I think about where my passion for books comes from, I think about my grandmother. My grandmother has a love for reading and began sharing this love with me as soon as I came into this world. Before I was old enough to understand the stories, we would flip through books; looking at the pictures and talk about what I saw. When I finally became old enough to understand, she began reading me book after book after book. And finally when I started school and began learning to read, my grandmother gave me my very own library card. We made daily trips to the library to browse through the many shelves of books. This love that I have for books started early and has continued to grow throughout the years. Reading still one of my very favorite hobbies - Books are something that I've always known. 

But I've never really thought that all children may not have had this special person to impact their knowledge of books and reading - until today that is. As my library services teacher put it today - What is your NORMAL? Some students in my future classroom may come from homes without books or maybe even without a guardian that speaks English... So what can I do? What are the characteristics that I need to have as a teacher to make sure that my students become fluent readers? 

Here are a few characteristics that I think are important: 

Be an Example: As a teacher, I think it is important to set a good example for your students. If a student sees you reading in between classes, on your lunch break, etc., what do you think the student will want to do in their spare time? READ! Didn't you know it's so cool to do what the teacher does? 

Enthusiastic/Excited: A teacher walks into her classroom, tells the children to come to the rug, opens a book, and starts reading in a boring monotone voice. How do you think the children react? Will they pay attention to the story? 

A teacher walks into her classroom with a crazy hat on, gathers the children around the rug, tells some elaborate silly story (leading up to the book), and then reads the story in an excited tone (changing her voice as needed). How do you think the children will react to that? Will they be interested in the story and what the teacher is saying? 

Knowledgable: I think it is super important for a teacher to be knowledgable about children's books. Children would love to discuss what they are reading with their teacher, and how would that happen if the teacher has no idea what the book is about? 
Also, if a child isn't so into reading but loves to play baseball... a knowledgable teacher would be able to suggest a super cool baseball book for the child to read? Isn't reading more fun when you're reading about something you enjoy? 

Moral of the Story: We never know if a child is missing that "special person" in their life who will instill into them a love for books and reading. As teachers, it is our job to love reading and in turn show and teach our students to love reading, too! 

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." - Frederick Douglas 



No comments:

Post a Comment